Monday, 2 December 2013

Kilcock 70k

Lovely cycle out to Kilcock today, no wind, no rain, no big hills - except for Knockmaroon then Lower Road on the way back.
I'm getting better going up knockmaroon for definite, and at 40 it's a great feeling noticing any improvement which tells me I'm getting physically better / stronger.
I don't have to use the last gears of my cassette going up anymore, granted it is a massive 12-30 cassette, but it's an improvement for me.
Gears shifted well today too, which I was a little concerned about given my removing and replacing the cassette for the first time yesterday.
New brake pads worked really well too.

I fancied an easy cycle alone today.
Said hello to a couple of Rooks and a stunning looking Heron on a grass verge, but they didn't say hello back, unless they muttered and I didn't hear them.
Think I saw lots of Fieldfares/ Redwings in the trees around the farmlands, but couldn't be certain, they were just black silhouettes as they flew awayon my approach.

Cycled Strawberry Beds, Lucan, Leixlip, Maynooth then onto the Rye River Cafe in Kilcock.
They were just closing when I got there (2.30pm) but they did me a sausage s/w (don't ask) and a gorgeous coffee, which I was very grateful for.
I got talking to another cyclist who was just finishing his coffee, he told me he was out on his own because he had missed his club spin from Clondalkin this morning from being out late last night.
I'd say that's a common enough occurrence when Sunday spins usually leave at 9am. For me that means a 7.30am alarm, which isn't always welcome at the weekend.
It certainly wasn't going to happen this morning anyway.

Returned from Kilcock through the back roads which tookj me through lots of farmlands.
I love the smells and sights of the farms, feels like home I suppose.

Garmin stopped navigating from Kilcock, no idea why, it sometimes does that resulting in a few wrong turns, but got home in good time and really enjoyed the cycle.

River Liffey, Lucan
One of the many, many farms on the way home

big fat dunkey/ connemara / shetland pony - who knows?